Sunday, June 17, 2007

Perseverance

I was as nervous as a boy preaching his first sermon this morning. I had been planning this lesson for more than a month but the thought of showing 8 minutes of football still made me wonder if it was really appropriate. However, I was confident that the entire presentation would connect with certain men who, perhaps, have always felt out of place at church. As someone told me afterward, "It may have made some uncomfortable; but it may be the first time others have ever felt comfortable at church!"

Didn't "T" do a great job! We are fortunate to have him and his family with us. Also, I was proud of Barry Duncan who did such a good job preparing us for the Lord's Supper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did it speak to some? - NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! This put some real points on the scoreboard!

One thing that you demonstrated - if you take a bag to the podium with you, and spill its contents, you have automatic audience participation!

D Thompson

Anonymous said...

I really liked this sermon. I was glad that I could be down in Clear Lake to be there. I especially liked you passing out the footballs. I have mine sitting on my dresser so I can remember the message everytime I see it.
Jeremy Fike

JAPierce said...

Thanks for your courage. It takes a lot to step out and try something different. It was well put together and planned. Good job and praise God!
Grace and Peace!
JP