Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Gifts

How easy it is to get focused on spiritual gifts and lose sight of the whole point and purpose behind the gifts! My suggestion for those who feel uncertain what their gifts might be is found in Paul's words, "Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church" (1 Cor. 14:12). Look for ways to serve others. Your areas of giftedness might be where:
1) It feels like a good fit. Even if it is hard, it brings you a sense of joy and satisfaction.
2) Others tell you it's a good fit. If you're the only one who thinks you're gifted in a certain area you're probably not.
3) It is providing a needed service.
The point, however, is not to get perfectly fitted into your perfect gift! The point is to serve in ways that build others up.

Thinking about Paul's "spiritual anatomy" class: I think this is some of the funnest stuff the Apostle ever wrote. Imagine individual body parts getting their feelings hurt, experiencing insecurities, and talking about it! I'm so thankful that my personal body parts all exist for the good of the whole. Oh, that we in the body of Christ could do the same.

3 comments:

Skull Jockey said...

That is probably the funniest sermon I have ever heard you preach! I was cracking up (along with all the teens in front of me).
I hope you are enjoying walking with God this week in the quiet.

Grazia e Pace.

Amanda said...

This was a good sermon, and an interesting break from your usual style. Part of me didn't like it, but I was smiling too.

I am really struggling with the idea of what is my spiritual gift. What is the difference between a gift and a talent?? Could they be the same?

Byron said...

Talent and gifts of the Spirit are not identical but one's areas of talent may very well be exactly how God has gifted a person to serve the body. As an example of the difference consider an NFL superstar. That certainly takes incredible talent (which in itself is a gift from God), however, the spiritual gift that same individual may have might be "contributing to the needs of others". Gifts of the Spirit in the context of 1 Corinthians 12 (as well as Rom. 12, and Eph. 4) are the gifts God has given us to be used to build up the body of Christ. As Peter wrote, "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms" (1 Pet. 4:10). I'm not aware of any passages in the NT written to help people "discover" their spiritual gifts. However, if you use whatever God has given you to love and serve others I'm pretty sure your gifts will become obvious. (And I think you are doing a fabulous job of loving and serving in just this way!)