Monday, January 21, 2008

Pray Continually

While working on this sermon this past week, I was reminded of how many things distract us from praying. I wrote a section in an early draft of my sermon to address this subject of distractions. We seem to be in a constant flurry of mind numbing activity: Ipods, blue tooth, email, texting, television, and video games come to mind. When are our minds ever simply at rest? The psalmist writes, "the heavens declare the glory of God, . . . day after day they pour forth speech;..." But, who is listening?

As I got in my truck to drive home from the office, I mindlessly turned on the radio. As the voice coming through my speakers rattled on about things that will have no relevance tomorrow, not to mention next year or ten years from now; it occurred to me -- what a perfect time to practice what I preach! I turned the radio off and had a few minutes of simple conversation with God.
Thanks Tevia, for reminding me that prayer can be continual when we allow ourselves to simply remember God.

Here's the clips from this week:

The Following Videos use Real Player, If you do not have real player or if your current video player will not play a real media file then you can download Real Player for free
Here!

Fiddler on the Roof
Lame Horse

56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

Fiddler on the Roof
Rich Man

56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

Fiddler on the Roof
Chosen People
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

Fiddler on the Roof
Troubles, Troubles

56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

1 comment:

Skull Jockey said...

Conversational prayer is an interesting and challenging topic. We often have the idea that there are certain things that we shouldn't talk to God about, they are too selfish, or petty or unimportant. We forget that we serve a big God that cares about us intimately. The same God that is God over the big stuff is God over the small stuff, and I think he's wise enough to sift through our requests. A great example is the collection of psalms that we have. Most of them are laments for one (on a side note, how often do we hear prayers or sing songs along that line of faith language?) and some of the things the psalmist asks for are horrible in our eyes, but he is not afraid to share them with God. That is relationship.