Thursday, October 2, 2008

Honest Prayer

Someone asked about the name of the last movie clip I showed today during the sermon. It is called the Apostle. After seeing the movie some told me they felt the preacher, named Sonny, was a fraud. I had a different opinion. To me he was an honest man who had a terrible time dealing with the deeper sin issues in his life. While it is never attractive to see a person give in to sinful temptations, I found the movie to give encouragement to a person who's heart wants to serve God, but continues to fail. My hope is that such a one would not stay stuck in the same cycle of temptation and failure, but find the true freedom that God has made possible through the death and resurrection of Jesus. Walking the path of freedom is often difficult. The most difficult parts of the journey require the most honest of communication with God.


The Following Videos use Real Player, If you do not have real player or if your current video player will not play a real media file then you can download Real Player for free Here!

Bruce Almighty - Chapter 5 - Send Me A Sign
Connection Type
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL


The Apostle - Shouting At God
Connection Type
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

3 comments:

Tommytwotoez said...

I thought this sermon was really great! It really made me think back on all my prayers that I have made to God. Almost as if I was talking to a boss. This sermon has really opened my eyes to a real honest prayer, thank you.

Amanda said...

I really appreciated your sermon Sunday. We need to be reminded to be real with God. It is actually so refreshing to talk to God honestly. I don't know why I don't do it more often...

Skull Jockey said...

Good sermon, great reflection. Too often we think a Christian is a "fraud" if they are not crisp, clean, and at least seem sinless. I have not seen the movie, but from your description, Sonny's life resembles very much my own; striving to live a life following God, but often tripped up by the sin and the world. I don't believe it makes be less of a Christian or a fraud. I think it just means that I am a sinner walking in the grace of God.
Honesty with God often leads to what has been termed a catharsis, and emotional cleansing as it were. Letting it all out, good and bad, prevents it from poisoning us from the inside.
I believe the same is true spiritually. Unless we are honest with God (and I believe we must also be honest with out fellow Christians), unless we allow ourselves to have a spiritual catharsis, our sin and struggles will continue to burn inside and will eventually consume us.