Sunday, February 8, 2009

What's the Big Idea?

To properly prepare a lengthy series of sermons (like the End Times series we started this morning), I like to spend a long period of time (generally a year or more) reading, studying, and pondering the significance of what I am learning. I never feel completely ready to begin putting the mass of information into sermons, but finally just have to "bite the bullet" and begin.

As I have studied the End Time material of the New Testament my thinking has been challenged in ways that I didn't expect. My previous understanding has gone through a dramatic shift. I must admit that I am a bit fearful as I now am faced with the task of presenting these "strange" teachings to the congregation. However, as I have come to accept my new understanding of the scriptures as true to God's plan from the beginning, it has set me free to really appreciate the magnificence of God's sending Jesus to the earth. We just scratched the surface this morning and Lord willing, we will dig deeper in the weeks to come.

2 comments:

Tommytwotoez said...

It's always a disapointment to miss one of your sermons Byron, I find them to be uplifting and a great way to re-structor my faith; making it better then it ever was in the past. but, this Foundations retreat could not be missed, and I'm so glad I went on it!
I feel so refreashed and spritually reawakened!!! I'm also feeling a lot closer to my brothers and sisters in my small group and my eyes have been opened to exatactly what the Lord has done for me and what He means to me.
I'm looking forward to this Sunday, Byron!!

ps: I could'nt put the book of John down, so I might have skipped past and finished most of the study guide for our Sunday class!! Sorry!!

Skull Jockey said...

If I was as good as you I think I might be out of a job rather quickly!
I hope you're having a great time at the "coating"!