Sunday, May 3, 2009

Judgment Day

I was frankly surprised at how many scriptures there are that mention the last judgment. The sermon this morning did not give the opportunity to explore the many teachings of Jesus on this topic such as the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats (Matthew 25:31ff), the Parable of the Net (Matthew 13:46-48), or the Parable of the Weeds (Matthew 13:24-30). In each of these parables one of the important truths taught is that judgment belongs to God--not us. Only God is qualified to fill that role.

However, as we discussed this morning, thinking of judgment as a day of rewards (and not just a day of condemnation) should cause some serious evaluation in terms of how we are living right now. That's why I like the image of judgment as a job evaluation. How am I doing the job God has given me to do? Of primary concern would be my job as a husband and father. But how about my job as a neighbor or co-worker? What about my unique mission that God has specifically equipped and trained me to do? How am I doing in my struggle against sin? Am I still battling or have I given up and become hopeless?

Remember this word of encouragement:
8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:8-10)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I honestly don't know what to say about this morning's sermon...I think I'm going to have to listen to it again.

Skull Jockey said...

That is a hard fact for us to swallow - leaving the judging up to God. Really hard.

I agreed with Amanda though, I will have to listen to this one again. There was a lot packed into those 25 minutes. : )