Sunday, September 13, 2009

Plundering the Egyptians or Best Birthday Ever!



This week's blog will be devoted to the four events that converged this weekend. To begin, today we launched our much anticipated church building renovation plan. Normally I would not get too excited about a building program but this one makes so much sense and will do so much good. God has allowed us to "plunder the Egyptians", as we discussed in this morning's sermon, and now he is asking us to give from our wealth so that our church building can have a much needed face lift.

Secondly, I was surprised and honored by the thoughtful gifts given to us at church this morning in recognition of our ten years of ministry here at Clear Lake. I am humbled and appreciative of the many kind words spoken about our work here.

Third, last night my daughter, Elizabeth, accepted a proposal of marriage from Jaime Arizpe. Jaime and his parents had come to Houston from San Antiono last Friday to ask our blessing on his proposal. We already knew and loved Jaime and instantly fell in love with his parents as well. Jaime is a godly, responsible, and sensitive young man and we recognize in him the answer to our lifelong prayer for Elizabeth's future husband.

Finally, my 50th birthday has turned out to the be the best birthday ever! It began last weekend when all of my children came home to celebrate with me. Then each child sent me a personal letter telling me why they appreciate me as a father. Liz also joined in and wrote her own letter to me. Finally, my church family celebrated with me this morning.

I am more blessed than anyone else I know! I am so thankful for my many friends, my church family, my biological family, and especially for my Lord Jesus Christ who gave his all for me so that I might have all the spiritual treasures available through his death and resurrection.

No comments: