Sunday, January 3, 2010

One Word for the New Year

After the sermon today someone asked me what the one word was. I made a big deal about the one word in the introduction and told the congregation that I would not reveal the one word until the conclusion. I'm not sure if the person was just checking to make sure they had it right, or if I had completely failed to communicate. In the reciprocal reading we did from 1 Corinthians 13 the final line, . . . . that we all read together, . . . . and which formally ended the sermon was, "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." I guess at that point I could have said, "And so the one word for the new year is love." I could have done that but thought just ending with the verse would be sufficient. I'm going to believe that the person who asked me that question had the word love in mind and was just checking to make sure that I hadn't slipped another word in when they weren't paying attention. I'm going to believe that, and if I'm wrong then just consider this an opportunity to put your love in practice. Love the preacher even when he does not make the point of his sermon clear. Either way I think this will work out well.

No comments: