Sunday, April 25, 2010

Solomon's Temple Dedication

Someone asked me who planned today's service. The answer is a bit complicated. The Administration Team planned the major structure of the service. Individually, they each played a role in leading a prayer, reading scripture, and/or making various comments. Brian Carnes picked out the songs and I was responsible for my part in the service. The baptism was a total surprise so we will credit the Holy Spirit for that part in the planning.

What I really enjoyed about today's worship assembly was the focus. Everything that was done kept God, rather than us humans, in the center. Even the many "thank you's" that were reserved for the end of the service brought glory to God for the gifts he had given to various individuals. The prayer of dedication that I lead was a modified form of a sanctuary dedication service from the Book of Common Prayer. And, of course I built my comments around Solomon's prayer of dedication for the Temple so we will acknowledge his contribution to our assembly.

I left with a very real awareness that we had been in the presence of God; he was there and was honored through everything that was done or said. Truly, we have a sanctuary where every week God will meet with us. And may those meetings sanctify us for his service.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love coming to church every sonday and hearing Byron Fike's sermons. Im 16 years old and listen to every word. Its amazing!

Love, Melissa (The dos)