Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jesus Is Doing Something New

I love Isaiah's pictures of the kingdom.  He gave us such wonderful word pictures which so graphically illustrated what God was going to do.  The one Mark seemed to be alluding to in this morning's sermon text was from Isaiah 35:5-6:
"Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped.  then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy.  Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert."
Why couldn't the Twelve understand what God was doing through Jesus?  Why did they continue to miss the point?  Because they kept trying to squeeze God's kingdom into their own preconceived ideas. As Jesus will say later in the Gospel of Mark, they have eyes but cannot see and ears but cannot hear. 

I wonder if my eyes are truly open to see what God is doing.  Do you ever wonder about that? What is he wanting to show me that I keep refusing to look at?  Two things that keep me from looking are fear and pride.  I don't know where Jesus might take me so I am afraid.  I don't know what areas he might require me to change through repentance and so I am prideful.  These same two things keep churches from seeing the new thing God is doing among us.  We are afraid because who knows what he might call us to lose. (One man I heard of was told to sell everything he had and give to the poor!)  We are prideful so we refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that we might be wrong about something.

Which brings me back to the wonderful word pictures of Isaiah.  God wants to do something new in our generation.  The only question that remains is: Will we open our eyes and see what he is doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this again...not sure if my first post made it into the virtual world.

I am thinking about your observation that the Greek Syrian Phoenician woman had too much at stake to "miss" Jesus because of His choice of words. Her little daughter was demon-possessed...

I'm going to make an effort not to wear my spiritual feelings on my sleeve...there is too much at stake if I get off track.

gary robbins