Monday, December 26, 2011

The Nativity

The night of caroling is over; selected families were blessed with financial gifts from the church; all the candles have been blown out from the candlelight service, and the nativity set I used yesterday is now put away.  Undoubtedly, Christmas is the busiest time on our church calander.  It's a far cry from the days of my youth when all Christmas activities were anathama at church.  One church I was with even moved the children's Sunday School lesson on the birth of Christ from December to June lest anyone get the idea that Jesus was literally born on December 25! 

Yesterday's Christmas service was so enjoyable.  Lots of children who grew up here came home as adult visitors.  Many families brought their out of town guests which made up for many in our number who were off visiting their families in other places. 

I was glad to see so many chlildren present.  I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the last place children would want to be on Christmas morning was at church.  That is why I did the nativity sermon for the children followed by Christmas carols.  In spite of my assumptions, it certainly did not seem like anyone was there out of a sense of duty.  Rather, there was a wonderful spirit of celebration as all praised our Father and offered expressions of thanksgiving to Him for the wonderful gift of his son. 

My favorite part was watching people during family prayer.  A young lady came and blessed Liz and I with the gift of prayerful appreciation.  I saw others moving about hugging, smiling, talking and praying together.  I know God was smiling as his children recognized the gift he has given us in one another.  I still have some misgivings about the busyness that seems to have taken over the season, but I can't help but feeling a sense of "mission accomplished" when the last worship service of the year was one full of thankgiving, love, fellowship and sharing.  Thank you God, for Christmas!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought the service went very well. The only thing missing was a warm cozy fire place and an old behangled arm chair for you to sit in while telling the nativity story.

Later while singing I once again fell in love. "Silent Night" is one of my most beloved Christmas hymns. The lyrics are profound and the overal "feel" moves my soul in way only my heavenly Papa can.