Sunday, January 29, 2012

Whom Should We Choose?

I love the image of sheep following their shepherd.  The shepherd is out front and the sheep go wherever the shepherd goes.  This is such a different picture than that of cowboys herding cattle.  Cowboys use whips and cutting horses to keep the cattle together.  They ride behind the herd and push them forward. 

Elder selection is not asking some cowboys to "ride herd" on the people of God!  Rather, it is the church looking among themselves to see who God has raised up to shepherd his people.  When true shepherds are appointed elders, the people willingly follow their godly leaders in the ways of Christ. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! I once heard it said that the elders are the most active servants in the church. I find this to be true in successful churches, such as ours.

Heath M. said...

I would prefer to walk in front of the herd as opposed to following the herd. You never know what you may step in.

Unknown said...

Yes, I would also prefer not to walk behind the herd!

Honestly I was a bit surprised that after only two years we were electing new elders. Good surprised? Bad surprised? No, just surprised. Maybe I was just to young to notice but it seemed like the elder selection at my old congergation were life-time posts. Not at all saying thats good or bad.

I think every two years , just as for U.S representatives, is good. A kind of reaffirming our objectives and intentions.

Thanks for the good sermon on the subject. While you were preaching I noticed in my bible there is a section blocked off with a list from both of your scriptures detailing the perfect elder and deacon. I'm not sure if the authors of the TNIV translation were hinting on it as "law" or not, but its there!