Sunday, June 3, 2012

Creation Observation

I'm not sure how I would have preached today's sermon without pictures.  Psalm 104 provides the text, but the pictures provide inspiration.  I tried to preach today's sermon much like I was leading us through a picture book.  One could seek to help others understand by creating "mental" pictures, but one can only imagine based on what they have experienced or seen themselves.  Pictures don't replace the experience of hiking a Colorado mountain, but they do help give some sense of the awe one feels when standing before a mountain. 

My hope was that the idea of "creation observation" might stick with my hearers this week and that we might all be more observant to what is happening around us.  My backyard is full of blooming flowers with a great variety of shape, color, and texture.  Beautiful butterflies like to visit on occasion providing plenty of pondering possibilities.  How do they float so effortlessly?   My backyard has a small patch of thick green grass and plenty of other lush vegetation.  We are blessed to have a swimming pool and I find myself pondering the wonder of water.  It truly is one of God's greatest creations!  What king of Being would create these things?!
The Psalmist knows, "Lord my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty" (104:1).

No comments: