Sunday, July 1, 2007

Small but Powerful!

I knew there would be photo requests after this morning's sermon, so here are Willie and Bear, our 6 month old puppies who supplied one of the sermon illustrations. I'm sure there will be more to come!

Jeremy Pierce told me he was disappointed that I did not include the description of Willie that was first uttered by my wonderful daughter-in-law. Since Willie is constantly licking people she said, "Willie can't handle his 'licker'". Sorry Jeremy for the oversight. You would think in a sermon on the tongue that I could have found some use for that expression.

Thinking about how destructive our words can be is a sobering thought. My hope is that we can encourage one another to use language that builds the kingdom of God instead of setting loose the fire of hell.

On another note, Dan Miller's illustration of the candy bar was perfect! For those who missed it here is the brief recap of Dan's words before we took up our contribution. Dan gives his child a candy bar and asks if he can have some of it back. The child grudgingly pulls the smallest piece from the corner and gives it to him. May we all grow in our love for God and may it find expression in our financial generosity.

3 comments:

Brian L. Simonin said...

I really appreciated your sermon today. I am a person who jumps where angels fear to tread. What I mean is I say things in general before I think. The tongue is a very important part of the body. We often overlook its necessity. We use it to taste and eat. We can praise God and give thanks. We can tell those we love that we love them. But we can also hurt and destroy. We can lie and curse. For such an important part of the body it is pretty fragile. A manager at The Boeing Company was diagnose with cancer of the tongue. He had a choice...keep his tongue and risk the cancer spreading. Give up the tongue and his life may be saved for several years. He chose to keep his tongue and later died. The body part is a necessity to everyday life.

I left today and prayed that I might take that second to look at my surroundings before I open my communication devise.

JAPierce said...

Thanks for the name mention, now I'm famous!!!

I really did think you did an excellent job on Sunday. The opening video was well done.

The part that really hit home with me was when you showed the picture of the lush, green, mature forest, then the aftermath following a fire. Very powerful imagery, especially in reference to the church.

I know I still got some growing to do! Thanks for your commitment to the word.

Anonymous said...

What a clever daughter-in-law you have to use such a cute play-on-words. I didn't get it at first.