Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Call

We looked a long time last week to find a picture to use for the sermon series, "Supper Time", which began today. I wanted a picture of the bread and cup but had a terrible time finding a picture that looked like something you could possible have for supper! To have the heading "Supper Time" over a picture of a pinch of cracker and a thimble full of wine just didn't look right. I finally found this one which we used in the presentation today. It's a thought provoking picture don't you think? What thoughts come to your mind as you examine it?

I've never considered that the answer to the problems of unity and holiness would be found in the Lord's Supper until this past week. I'm excited to dig deeper in to 1 Corinthians to uncover the power of this simple observance that Christ told us to do "in remembrance of me."


2 comments:

Ben said...

"Calling" has been sort of a buzz word during my time at ACU, usually in relation to major and occupation. Many students seem to worry (I must admit - I've been one) if what they are doing is what God is calling them too. The fear of missing "the call" seems to be wide spread.

I liked that your sermon called us to a place where "calling" means WHO we are and not WHAT we are. A professor I really admire said on this topic, "Don't worry so much about 'calling' and 'missing your calling', just do what you like to do and do it well".

This weeks sermon was a good reminder that Communion is an acting out of WHO we are in Christ, and not merely WHAT we do because we are Christians.

Skull Jockey said...

I thought your sermon was well done. I was, however, a bit disappointed to see yet another sermon series on the Lord's Supper from 1 Corinthians (albeit with a new spin on it). I prefer Hebrews myself. It helps to underscore the true meaning of sacrifice.
A point that I think is very important in regards to the Lord's Supper is that it is not just a passive "remembrance" but an active "proclamation." We proclaim his death until he comes.
It will be interesting to see you work through all the material in 1 Corinthians, I think it speaks a lot to the current state of affairs (no pun intended).
Grace and Peace!