Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Attitude

There are so many good things one can say about knowledge. It opens doors of opportunity. It empowers one to make good decisions. It enables one to be able to teach others. It is also impressive to be known as a knowledgeable person. Within Christianity one with a deep knowledge of the Bible is given great respect. It comes as something of a surprise to read the words of perhaps the most educated and knowledgeable Christian of the first century when he wrote, "knowledge puffs up." A puffer fish is a fitting example of one who may have knowledge but does not have love. Working with people who are weak in faith due to their lack of knowledge, is difficult at times. The puffer fish illustrates us when we are proud of our knowledge and the enlightenment such knowledge provides. What would we look like if we had genuine love for the weak, "for whom Christ died"?

I put a counter on this page to see how many "hits" I get each week: it is somewhere around 30-40. I'd love to read your comments about the sermon, my reading list, or anything else related. It's really easy. At the bottom of this post click the link marked "comments". On your left you'll see what others have written and on your right is a form for you to fill out. You don't have to have a blog or a web page to leave a comment. You can even be anonymous if you like (but at least put your first name in your comments!). Click "publish your comment" and you're done.

4 comments:

Andreia Huff said...

The puffer fish was big with the kindergarten set.We talked about it all afternoon : -D

A big shout out to the female AMEN-ER in the back! How cool was that?

Finally:
Grisham, Tolkien, Karon and Madden all in one reading list?...hhhmm

I read the reviews on the Why Men Hate Church book and, fwiw (for what its worth), it looks worthy of a full-fledged discussion.

Byron said...

Let's just say I try to read widely :-).

"Why Men Hate Going to Church" is a good read but not a great read. My father's day sermon with the long football clip was my attempt at following some of suggestions made in the book.

Skull Jockey said...

Knowledge is good, grace and mercy are even better.

Anonymous said...

From Xerintia -

Good words for soul thinking -- the concept of knowledge has often been manipulated by humans to think that is a way to be like God. Wasn't that the way the Serpent enticed Eve?

Knowledge is something in modern day, however, that appears to be quite lacking. I look at myself and realize my knowledge has grown significantly this year regarding the exact contents of the Bible. It is one thing to go through the motions of 'learning' the word, as it is spoon-fed from shepherds; yet, quite another to obtain that point where one becomes 'thirsty' for the word.
One trick I used last year that help get me from a child to adolescent level of seeking God was to listen to the entire Bible on tape. I realize that may sound silly, but it helped to open up the stories for me. You cannot imagine how truly inspired the words of Lamentation appear, while driving toward a major thunderstorm (lightening streaks and all)!

I propose another blog in the near future (as a selfish suggestion, because I am interested in this topic) -- communion. Doesn't the Bible provide examples that it is very important? Some faiths appear to intend to make it more sacred by limiting access to the communion, but for me it makes me feel as though I am forsaking an obligation and priviledge.