Sunday, February 24, 2008

Prayer and Humility

For those who would like more information concerning Ruby Bridges I have three recommendations. The movie, "Ruby Bridges" is an accurate portrayal of the events that I described in the sermon. It appears to be largely based on the information found in the children's book, The Story of Ruby Bridges, by child psychiatrist, Robert Coles. The book is wonderfully illustrated and would be acceptable to read even to young elementary children. Ruby tells the story in her own words in the book, Through My Eyes. Although still found in the children's section, the book contains pictures of the events it describes and would be better for older elementary school children. All of these can be obtained from the Freeman Public Library.


Finally, here is the picture that I showed this morning that caused such deep reflection in my own soul. Look carefully and see if you can see yourself in this crowd. God have mercy on me, a sinner.
The Following Videos use Real Player, If you do not have real player or if your current video player will not play a real media file then you can download Real Player for free
Here!

Ruby Bridges
Scene 4
Connection Type
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

Scene 10
Connection Type
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was more emotionally moved by this sermon than any I can remember, with the exception of the time I listened to James Robison speak at my church in Dallas when I was in high school. This is no doubt because of the intense feelings I have about this particular subject, having been subjected myself as a youth to the crueler side of human nature, which can be very destructive when directed to children from children.
Certainly children reflect the values and lack of values that their parents pass on to them. The particularly deep prejudice that existed during the 100 years following the legal termination of black slavery in this country, is an ideal example of how difficult it can be for people to see the lack of humility they often exercise without realizing it.

Consider the war in the Balkans for evidence that prejudice is by no means extinct in this world, and one need look no further than the current immigration discusions to see that it is still a large part of American society.

I dont feel I can offer any criticism, constructive or otherwise, of the message, since I was so deeply moved by the subject matter. But I certainly enjoyed the "reality check" which your message provided, and hope to be able to comment constructively on the next sermon. Thanks Byron, for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie.. nothing but pride prejudice, and beauty....