Sunday, September 7, 2008

Be Faithful in Prayer

Was it just me or did the assembly seem especially alive this morning? Perhaps it was the combined praise team and choir up front which made the sanctuary fill with the sound of voices praising God. Or, maybe it is just the climate that is being created in our church as we plan our next steps of movement into the future. Whatever it was, it was certainly a joyful assembly!

Several commented on the idea I mentioned during the sermon about "Praying First." Several years ago I wrote that down on a post-it note and stuck it on my computer monitor. Seeing the note reminding me to "Pray First" every morning was a good reminder to take everything to God in prayer before acting or deciding. Someone once said that 90% of preaching is just reminding ourselves to do what we already know to do. Having preached for over 25 years now I would say that is probably true. How often I need to be reminded of the basic truths of the Gospel and the implications of that truth for my life. Praying first is one of those implications.

1 comment:

Skull Jockey said...

I felt it too. And I definately think the praise team and choir played a part in it. It was so encouraging to be in a reciprocal praise relationship. (I even played the air drums once or twice...)

You were right on target saying the most often we tend to fall back on prayer when there is nothing else we can do. Perhaps it speaks to our own pridefulness that we seek first to fix it ourselves, then when we are exhausted, we turn to God.