Sunday, December 7, 2008

Real Life

My opening illustration this morning was taken from Dr. James Dobson's book, Hide or Seek. Since my children were small the book has been revised and reprinted. I highly recommend anything Dr. Dobson has written on child rearing.

One point that I decided not to make it my sermon (I may later in the series) has to do with the last verse of 1 John, "Dear children, keep yourselves from idols" (5:21). At first glance it appears to be out of place; as though as he finished his letter John added an addendum. Upon reflection, however, it becomes obvious that this has been his warning throughout the letter. Jesus, eternal life in the flesh, has appeared. Everything else that promises life is an impostor or, to use the phrase most common in John's day, an idol. We are to keep ourselves from thinking and acting as though beauty, intelligence, money, athletic ability or anything else can give us life. "God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son." (1 John 5:11)

2 comments:

Tommytwotoez said...

That was a really great sermon this Sunday! Everyone, including myself, at some point or another, puts a "worldly" view apon their lives. Its important to be reminded that these objects of personal wealth are not from which is most important.
Our faith and love in God and his son Jesus are the only things that give real life.
But when does it go to far? Is it wrong to want a well paying job to make your familys life easier?
Is it wrong to want that new video game? Or is it just wrong when you start to point those things in front of the only one that matters, God?

Skull Jockey said...

Thank for the encouragement.

There is a lot packed into that small book! Idolatry is the biggest battle that I have to face everyday. Most of the time I am my own idol. I guess I still have to loose my life in order to find it.