Sunday, November 30, 2008

Helping Others Know Jesus

Today was a fun way to preach a sermon. I enjoy having conversations with my father about topics like evangelism where we talk about the past as well as the present. My hope was that by including others in our "private conversation" the conversation itself might continue after the service. Hopefully, the point was made that by working together we all play significant roles in helping people come to know Jesus. While the teaching role is vital to the process, it will go nowhere unless others are involved making friends, building relationships, drawing others into their circles of acquaintances, etc....

One thing that has impressed me in the book of Acts is that no one is ever converted to Christ without another human becoming involved. You don't see angels preaching or an audible voice from the sky teaching the Gospel. For some reason God has ordered things so that the message of his son must be communicated by one human being to another. What gifts has God given you to help others come to know him?

1 comment:

Skull Jockey said...

I really enjoyed it as well. Perhaps we can have three generations the next time!

As much as I enjoyed it, it also made me long all the more to be able to do something like that with my father...perhaps someday...only God knows.

I love your creativity with sermons. They are attention getting (and keeping), as well as challenging.