Sunday, January 11, 2009

Giving as an Expression of Faith

People make interesting comments after sermons. Some time ago I told the congregation that my favorite after sermon comment is, "What a Savior!" Since that time several have come up to me after the sermon and made that exact comment. Sometimes people want to tell me "What a Savior!" but forget exactly how the phrase is expressed. A few weeks back one of our teenagers got really confused. He wanted to give me the ultimate compliment but instead what came out of his mouth was, "You're the Savior!" God help us all if anyone really believes that!

As promised, here are the scripture references that I left out of today's sermon to save on time. I guarantee it will bless your life if you take time to read over these and contemplate what God is wanting his children to learn in regards to giving.

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6:38)

Tithing Before the Law of Moses was Instituted:
Abraham - Genesis 14:20
Jacob - Genesis 28:22

Two Tithes Required by the Law:
Priestly Tithe - Leviticus 27:30-32; Numbers 18:20-32
Festival Tithe - Deuteronomy 14:22-27; 26:12-15

Gifts Required by the Law:
Firstfruits - Deuteronomy 26:1-11
Gleanings - Deuteronomy 24:19-22
First Male Offspring - Exodus 13:11-16

Laws that Restricted One's Earning Ability:
Sabbath - Exodus 20:8-11
Sabbatical Year - Leviticus 25:1-7
Year of Jubilee - Leviticus 25:8-22

God's Promise to Bless Israel's Obedience - Deuteronomy 28:1-14

5 comments:

Skull Jockey said...

I always hate missing a sermon. At least I can catch them online!

Amanda told me that it was a good one and has encouraged me to check it out. As soon as I do, I will be back with a more substantial comment.

I guess that this comment is here to say, well, that I think I'm feeling better. That is all. : )

Skull Jockey said...

Thank you for sharing you testimony. It was very moving.

I will admit that Amanda and I are not the best at tithing. It is really hard to trust God sometimes. It is also hard sometimes to choose b/t eating out with friends after church or tithing. It's a horrible feeling to be excluded, even if by one's own choice.

Money. It can really mess with us. It can be a faith problem. Personally, I can even identify which area of faith: security. It's hard to trust God, at least for me, because he seems so distant.

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing God in the future, being ready, willing, and able to care for me. But I always see him in the past, having taken care of me. I guess that is way God reminds his people to tell and retell the stories of his wondrous acts.

That's what I love about some many of the psalms. They recount Gods acts throughout history, then often in a very climatic way, make the assertion, "Therefore I will trust you". There is power in the past.

Thank you for the challenge.

Tommytwotoez said...

I still remember, when i was young, on how i had such a distaste for "collection plate" sermons, but now that I'm a little bit older, i can look past the old emotions and see the true value these sermons have.
the Lord has blessed me very much, i know this, and even though i might not have "Hollywood" standards of income, i still have what i need to get by and sometimes a little more.
so why not give what i can back to the Lords church, as long as its given with love and not disdain.
Does it really matter on how much we give, or is it the intentions?
How strict do we hold ourselves to the old testament, because if its 100%, i need to start looking for a goat salesman!

Skull Jockey said...

Hey, this has nothing to do with this sermon, but it has to do with your preaching, so I am posting it here. : )

The other night I had a dream that you were preaching about how we beat up on other Christian groups, saying they are wrong and we are right. You tided that into our faith and insecurity. That we feel the need to to argue ourselves into being "right" (there are only few who find it). You then said that we feel this way because we do not trust in the greatest of God's grace. We don't feel that there is enough grace to go around, so we have to try to horde it.
I do not know if that all make sense or not, it was a dream. Dreams do not always make sense. I just that I would share that.
Peace!

Byron said...

Hmmm, I think I've preached that sermon.