Sunday, January 25, 2009

Giving to Support the Local Church

I appreciate so much Kyle and Ginger's willingness to stand and give testimony to how God keeps his promises. I was thinking as they were talking how I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of God. God has promised to provide for us when we tithe but doesn't tell us how that blessing will come. Kyle and Ginger reminded us that things we might be tempted to chalk up as "coincidence" are really God's creativity coming through. May we never stoop to the pagan level of thinking we are just lucky! When you trust God by giving generously HE provides what you need. Period!

I also appreciated Tommy's willingness to let me read his response to last week's blog. Who else is reading this right now that is willing to respond to God's invitation to test him by giving generously and regularly? I promise I won't read anything publicly you write unless you give me permission. But, it is so encouraging when people share as Tommy did, the conviction they have experienced and the resulting decision to make life style changes. May God bless you richly Tommy as you "put your money where your faith is."

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." (Malachi 3:10)

9 comments:

JAPierce said...

I love hearing other peoples' testimonies. It is so encouraging! God truly is creative! I also appreciated the challenge to "Man up" (Thanks Tommy!) I have taken that challenge and plan to man-up for the year.
I also appreciated your example of the church "as we know it". That was powerful. In that past I have been guilty of giving to other charities while enjoying the charity of others as they support the local church.

Tell Liz we are praying for her. Let us know if we can do anything!

Skull Jockey said...

Amanda and I were talking about your sermon this morning and she made an interesting point - there are probably a few people walking around with sore toes this morning!
Come to think of it, it was one of your more "passionate" sermons. I didn't mind b/c I knew you were just talking to everyone else. : )
I do have a question though. Perhaps you have answered this in other responses or in the sermon itself, but I cannot remember. In Malachi 3:10 - what type of blessing should we be expecting? The same in Luke 6 - give and it will be given to you, a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and over flowing. What will be given to us?

Byron said...

Malachi 3:11 gives a few specifics of the blessings God gives in response to tithing, "I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe."

In a different context Jesus taught us to, "Seek first the kingdom and his righteousness and all these things [i.e. clothes, food, drink] will be given to you as well."

Jesus calls us to be faithful (not lazy!) and to trust him to take care of the things that tend to worry us sick.

Tommytwotoez said...

Once again, another great sermon yesterday!
It is expiring to hear other peoples testimonies, on how God has worked in their lives.
Its very humbling to see how God rewards our faith, even when its not what we expect to receive in return for tithing, but it is what we need and not want, that's given to us.
Having complete trust and faith in our Lord, reminds me a few famous movie quotes, "Being one with the force..." or even, "Do, or do not, there is no try...", these all remind me how having complete and absolute faith, a true test of a Christian's ultimate journey with God.
I fully understand now that no matter what, though my complete faith in God, he has my best interests at heart and will take care of me.

Tommytwotoez said...

I was going over lesson 3, for our Bible class and was just blown away!!
I've heard the story of how Jesus turned water into wine a dozen times growing up, but I never really looked at it in a scientific way. Like you said, making the best wine takes years and years, using the best grapes from the best land, but all Jesus needed was a short moment in time and water! Those who tasted the wine or who might have analyzed it might have thought it had been made in the traditional way, with years of purifying, but those who knew it was one of Jesus' seven signs saw his power over all the things created!! wow!
This demonstration of power takes me right back to Genesis chapter 1, with the creation of the world; science argues over the worlds creation and age, with ice core measurements, what is 500 billion years to God? To me, this is just one example that God can create all things in just a moment in time.
What are your thoughts on this subject?

Byron said...

I'm no scientist (my science scores in school testify to that fact!), but I think you're on to something. The Bible gives no clue as to the age of the earth, nor does it give a scientific process as to HOW it was created. (Many will disagree with that statement.) However, it sure appears that Adam and Eve were created full grown and were given a full grown garden to live in. John says, "all things were made through him and without him nothing was made that has been made." Jesus was the agent of creation in the beginning just like he was at the wedding feast at Cana.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Byron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.