Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm A Soul Man

I have found sacred cow tipping to be a dangerous, yet necessary function for preaching on the End Times. I have made many assumptions regarding what is taught in Scripture in regard to the end of all things, only to be astounded that, upon serious investigation, I could find no scriptural basis for my beliefs. There are many concepts that have been handed from one generation to the next, with each generation assuming that the earlier one was passing on a belief that resulted from a deep study of Scripture. The reality is that some ideas go unchallenged in one generation simply because they "make so much sense". However, as the world changes, and worldviews change, people begin to think more critically about things that a former generation simply took for granted.

A sacred cow is a belief that some feel should never be challenged. That is where the danger comes into play. It is my contention that no belief should go unchallenged! Truth never has anything to fear from honest investigation. I have approached this study of the End Times with a deep desire to conduct such an honest investigation of the Scriptures. I am certain, however, that even with such an aim, there are things that I will not see clearly. My prayer is that the generation that comes after us will have the freedom to closely examine all of our conclusions and embrace only what they discover the Bible to actually teach.

Even though we have not yet covered the Biblical teaching concerning Hell in our sermon series, I thought some of you might want to take a quiz developed by my friend Edward Fudge. You may be surprised how many sacred cows we have yet to bar-b-que! Click here to take the 20 question quiz on what the Bible really says about the end of the wicked.

If you want to read more about where the idea of the immortal soul came from I would recommend this article I found searching the internet.

2 comments:

Skull Jockey said...

I think the most challenging part of this sermon series is rethinking how I look at scriptures. I was taught to use clear passages to help understand the more unclear ones. However, the ones that I was taught were clear do not seem to be as clear as they once where. Honestly, your points make sense, but it is still hard to let go of beliefs that have been apart of my faith for so long.
Another difficulty is that all sides of the argument claim to have scripture on their side, and it basically comes down to the interpretation of a few scriptures (sometimes just a few words). Perhaps it is part of the great mystery that Paul writes about. Dunno.

Anonymous said...

PRIVATE TO BYRON--
I want to apologize for missing your retreat this weekend with the Bering men. We will be in Dallas where I am attending a Continuing Legal Education program at which my son is a presider, and visiting two grandchildren.

You are doing a valuable service in this retreat and our church will be blessed much by it. In keeping with the spirit of the retreat, I will pray for God's power and blessing on you and all who attend.

Cordially,
Edward Fudge