Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Fruit of the Spirit is . . . Peace

There are times like this past week, when I realize just how OLD 50 really is. I asked my facebook friends to tell me their favorite war protest song. Shockingly (to me at least), some had no idea what I was talking about. I grew up in the 60's when everyone knew some war protest songs: "Blowin' in the Wind", "War" (What is it Good For?), "The Times They are a Changin'", "If I Had a Hammer", and the Woodstock classic, "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag." Of course my son Jeremy came up with my personal all time favorite, Buffalo Springfield's, "For What it's Worth." (It's good to see all my fatherly training paying off.)

Norman Farr (who has surpassed me in age and spiritual depth) listed one I would never have considered. However, on reflection, perhaps it should be the number one war protest song in Christian hearts.

Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin?
The blood of Jesus whispers peace within.

Peace, perfect peace, by thronging duties pressed?
To do the will of Jesus--this is rest.

Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging round?
On Jesus' bosom naught but calm is found.

Peace, perfect peace, with loved ones far away?
In Jesus' keeping we are safe, and they.

Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown?
Jesus we know, and He is on the throne.


Maybe we could have just sung the song and skipped the sermon this morning. Jesus is on the throne. Amen.

3 comments:

Gary Robbins said...

The idea of "fruitlessly" chasing peace made me think of Luke 17.20-21 "Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, `See here!' or `See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.'' NKJ

Unknown said...

I seem to always jump the gun, whenever this topic to brought up...I see words like war and protest in the same sentence and I assume the worst.
I have no right to slander or assume what your ideals are, in fact, I am not a child of the
60's.
This much I do know...
The very fact that we can engage in discussion over anything to do with State or government issues shows the sacrifice that so many men and women paid. Including those that served during the Vietnam War (60's);and when they got home, doing what they thought was best,they were spit on by the same people sitting around camp fires, singing about peace... I do not dout that you know all this.
But this is why I find myself so sensetive about this subject...

When I was 16, I had a mindset that was total anti-government, but when I joined the fight, after what we all saw at 9/11; there can be no peace without war, without protection. I'll admit, this totally sucks!
So, as I said before; i'll admit I jumped the gun. I connected two words in a question and assumed the worst.
I know that a lot of people think war is horrable, myself included, but I'm also a realist. War has to exist until the return of Christ or there can be no peace, no protection.

I have no idea if this was the subject matter of your sermon, Byron. I just wanted to expain my emotions on the topic, and the reasoning on the facebook comment.

Byron said...

I like your passion Tommy. Actually the subject of protesting War was a set up for my talking about the peace that God wants to develop within each of his followers regardless of the conflicts happening all around them. Listen to the sermon and give me some more feedback.