Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Value of One

I like looking at this picture. I'm not sure what I think about the image of Jesus: perfect hair, trimmed beard, flawless features, etc.... I guess you have to picture Jesus in someway, but does he have to look so Caucasian? In spite of the non-Jewish looking Jesus, I still like the picture. I really like the lamb. It looks young, frail and helpless. It definately is a sheep in need of a shepherd.

It was easy preaching on the parable of the lost sheep this morning when I could use Toni Miller as an example. She and her husband, Dan have done such a great job in looking after those Jesus called the "little ones." And having the sermon followed by an honoring time for Elaine Pate certainly drove the point home.

The Miller and the Pates both know how to look at people without considering their financial worth, education, or any of the other markers we humans use to determine value. They have shown us the heart of Jesus by knowing that everyone is valuable in the eyes of God. They have also shown us that God is especially fond of the "little ones." "For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven" (Matthew 18:10).

No comments: