Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ordination of Elders

Before writing the sermon for this morning I looked over some past elder ordination sermons. It's difficult to re-preach sermons because people change; both congregations and preachers. What a joy it was to realize that the sermons preached for elder ordination in the past are no longer needed.

In past sermons I had focused on the congregation being submissive so that the shepherds' job would "be a joy and not a burden." I still believe that as evidenced by my quotation from Hebrews 13:17. However, it seems to me that we have matured as a congregation and do not currently need that lesson. Thankfully, there is a great spirit of unity among us and a willingness to work together and be gracious with those to whom we might disagree.

Instead, I decided to focus attention on showing appreciation for the men we have asked to serve. Nothing makes me want to do a good job like knowing that people are truly thankful and blessed by my work. I know the same is true for our elders. May we all regularly and sincerely let them know that we are always in prayer for them and that our prayers always begin with thanksgiving for God having blessed us with the gift of shepherds.

No comments: