Sunday, August 22, 2010

Soft Bread and Hard Hearts

How much stock should I put into comments made to me after the sermon?  It seems today I invited an unusually large number of statements to be made concerning my inept math skills.  (Will I ever become ept?) I have come to expect this if numbers play any role in my sermon.  Today's blunder, however, was a mere slip of the tongue, not a true math miscalculation.  Be that as it may, a fair percentage of you made sure that it did not go unnoticed.

Others were much kinder making sure they communicated their good feelings about the sermon and it's presentation.  I have learned that anytime I get children from the congregation involved at least that part of the sermon will gain congregational good will.  

Before leaving the building I heard one comment that indicated someone managed to get past the financial misspeak and grasp the intended point of the presentation.  This person told me that they were having some difficulties at work and the sermon served as a good reminder for them that just as God has helped them in the past he will continue to provide what they need in the present.  Indeed!  As much as I enjoy a good laugh over my verbal mistakes; and as good as it makes me feel to know that my lessons are appreciated, the highest compliment I can receive is that someone found God in the midst of the sermon.

I keep a post-it note above my computer monitor that has two statements written as quotations.  The first one reads, "Thank you preacher for enlightening me."  The second, "Thank you God for saving me."  This serves as a reminder to me that whenever I preach I want people to walk away with the second statement on their hearts, minds, and lips. 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I just kept wondering who was going to get to eat the bread.

Byron said...

There was plenty for all!

Anonymous said...

I didn't leave hungry.