Sunday, December 12, 2010

Joseph's 15 Minutes

Of all the highlighted characters in the Bible, one would think that the legal father of Jesus would get a little more press than his "fifteen minutes of fame!"  There is so much that I want to know about this man.  How did he develop such strong, obedient faith?  Who influenced him in the forming of his understanding of God?  What other stories from his life involved trusting God?  Alas, we must be content to know only what is contained in the 18 verses where he plays the dominant role. 

I mentioned in the sermon a foreign student who, without my knowing it, watched my actions for some time to determine if my faith was for real or if I was just acting.  It was simple things he was watching.  As I sat in chapel every day he would watch me to see if was singing or sleeping, praying or playing, being attentive or being oblivious.  He was watching others as well.  As a non-believer he was watching those who claimed to be believers to see if it made any difference in their lives. 

Even though that was almost 30 years ago I think about it from time to time.  I want to be the kind of person who lives the same whether anyone is watching or not.  I want to be a person of character and integrity who makes decisions based on principles.  That way, if the spotlights ever turn on and the whole world becomes interested in me for a brief period of time, people will see Christ living in me.  And when the world quits watching, I'd still be the same and God would continue to be glorified in my life. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen to that Byron! Either people are watching or not, we should always strive to be a people of moral goodness.

I like reading of folks like Joseph in the bible. Just like Dorcus' (Tabitha's) story, these characters never say anything, but from the authors persepective we attain at least a measure of their valor.

I also love the idea of the silent hero. Those true and noble people who just do what is right. No ammount of discourse, just action. The angel of the Lord came before a number of folk during the birth of Jesus and every single one of them had something to say about what had happened to them, all but Joseph, and he obeyed without question. Awesome!

Thanks for another outstanding sermon Byron!

Anonymous said...

Joseph is my hero.

God came to him and said (my paraphrase) 'Here is your wife and here is a child. Care for them and protect them. That is your service to me.'

Would that I respond as well as he.

DKThompson