Sunday, February 6, 2011

Extravagant Expressions

One of the questions I wrote for our small groups was to look at the principle players in the sermon narrative (Mark 14:1-11) and talk about which one you can relate too.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I relate better to the angry disciples than anyone else.  I understand their argument, "This could have been sold and the money given to the poor."  I've spent my entire life living frugally so that I could have something to share with others.  To see such extravagant "waste" as displayed by this woman would probably have brought out in me the same reaction as the disciples. 

I don't see myself much in the woman.  I've had my moments of "unrestrained" praise and thanksgiving, mostly in private.  So, I guess I can understand her a little.  However, to think of pouring out an entire year's salary (supposing the disciples calculations were correct) is a tough pill for me to swallow. 

In spite of my own shortcomings in this area, I'm so glad the woman did what she did.  The last act of kindness shown to my Lord before his terrible suffering was given as an extravagant expression of love and thanksgiving.  When I see this woman in glory I'm going to give her a hug and thank her for doing what the more "practical minded" disciples could not.  I'm going to thank her for pushing me to look at ways that I might be stifling the Spirit within me by resisting his impulses to loosen up and be more expressive to the one who gave everything for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to have missed this section of your sermon series, but the retreat was well worth it!

It had been awhile since I had looked up into the nights sky. it had been to long since I gazed out into the wonder of the universe.

I always ask, "why so many stars and planets? Why such an outpouring of creation?"

For me the stars show God's unrestrained love for us, to let us know that out of all the icy, rocky, and gassy planets, he choice ours to give life and also to give us something wonderful to look at besides pitch blackness.

This woman gave unrestrained love and worship with complete disreguard to the grumbleings of those around her. I pray that the Lord will grant me such courage!

(PS: I love this section in the book of John)