Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meet Him in Galilee

I've come to appreciate how Mark ends his Gospel.  I love the image of sitting underneath the cross where I realize He died for me and then being transported back to Galilee where I find the risen Christ and begin the process of discipleship all over again.

So many commented today on the impact of the Bible reading during the sermon.  In my Mark reading this week I read silently until I came to the text I knew I would be preaching.  I then began to read aloud.  Hearing the words in my ears as well as in my imagination (as we all do when we read silently) made a difference in how I understood the significance of Jesus' death for me.  "He bore it all that I might live!" we used to sing.  Jesus wants us to admit our failures, but he doesn't want us to stay there!  He wants us to live!  Receive the gift of grace and get back to Galilee.  We'll be much better followers now than when we first  began!

Reaching the end of preaching on the Gospel of Mark was actually an emotional experience for me.  The past 27 sermons I have preached have all been prepared by reading the Gospel in it's entirety and then focusing attention upon the specific text to be addressed in that week's sermon.  As I mentioned this morning I feel like my friend Mark, who I've enjoyed spending time with and getting to know, is leaving.  I know we'll visit from time to time but it will not be the same.  May I honor Mark's friendship by learning and living the lessons he has taught.  What about you?  What has Mark taught you that will make a difference in your life?

No comments: