Sunday, May 29, 2011

From Limping to Leaping

Every Sunday morning I go through the same routine.  I wake up, walk the dogs, feed the dogs, and then sit down with a cup of coffee and go over the sermon I am about to preach.  This morning as I sat down with my coffee and began going over the sermon I noticed something in the text that stirred my thinking.  "In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for disposal of refuse"  (2 Timothy 2:20 TNIV).  That final phrase is so much more specific than the more common "some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble" (NIV).  This image of an ancient toliet makes the next verse really stand out: "Any who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work" (2 Timothy 2:21)

As we have studied thorughout this series, it really is possible to become like Christ!  We are not just sinful wretches that will always be sinful wretches.  We may come to Christ on a stretcher, but he tells us to "take up our mat and walk."  There are things we can do to grow in holiness and righteouness.  I'm now wondering if the vessels mentioned in 2 Timothy are more than just symbols.  What if this life is simply preparation for the next life?  How differently would we live if we knew that our position in the Master's house depends upon the training and discipline we receive in this life? 

Our theme verse for "God's Gym" comes from 1 Timothy 4:7, "Train yourself to be Godly."  As we end the series look at the next verse, "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8).  The work we put into training our selves to be godly will not end at the grave but will become treasures to take with us into the next life. 

To keep growing deeper in the life of Chrsit I've listed the resources below that I mentioned in class. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This has been an awesome and eye opening series. I’m very sad to see it come to an end. But I cannot claim too much sadness because our Abba, Father has taught me so much of His love and how to allow myself to be in the presence of His love. This idea of contemplative prayer cries out to my soul and has also taught me in not being so fearful of new ideas, but trusting always in Spirit and in Truth.

By allowing the fence to be torn down I’ve come to appreciate the love of Yahweh more and more. Like a blooming rose in the thicket of a shrubbery. His love is a sweet fragrance wafting to my senses.

My prayer is too continue in these Soul Training practices, to seek always, ask regularly, and knock without hesitation. Thank you again Byron for bringing us to this lesson series. Thank you also for your joyful comments to the continued growth of my love with our Abba, Father. It is truly amazing how God works in each of our lives. You have personally been a great mentor in my personal spiritual growth with Jesus and all His teachings. I apologize if I have not expressed my gratitude frequently enough my brother, because you have been a major factor in the sight returning to my eyes!

I once was lost, but the Lord found me
I was blind, but He loved me
I was rich, but He taught me to be poor
I once was lost, but now found…
I was dead, but given new life
I was bland, but He gave me flavor
I once was in the dark, now am shielded by the Light
Forever and ever
Amen