Monday, May 23, 2011

I'll Need You Dad

After the sermon one dad told me he asked his teenager, "What would you say is the most important thing in my life?"  What a great question to ask.  That was exactly the response I was hoping for from dads.

Passing on faith to the next generation will never happen by accident.  It must be done intentionally.   Our faith must be Lived and Taught.  Our children need to See and Hear the message of Christ.  Godly parenting is not about perfection but direction.  What direction are we pointing our children?  What would they say is the direction our lives are moving? 

As one who now has all three children grown and on their own; I can personally testify that there is no greater joy than knowing that my children are walking in the truth.  I love that they are stable financially and successful in their chosen fields of work; but the most heartwarming satisfaction I have is knowing that at the core of their being they want to be faithful to Jesus Christ our Lord.

As we dedicated all those babies to the Lord this past Sunday my prayer for them is that their parents and the church might take the vows they made seriously.  May all of us work together to see that our children Know the Lord, Love the Lord and Obey the Lord!

2 comments:

TC said...

Really great sermon. I'm not a dad yet, but in my work with youth and kids -- this is a goal we should all be working towards more.

Unknown said...

I am also not yet a dad and so I wasnt sure what I was going to recieve in spirit from the sermon. Man was I wrong in thinking that noting was going to "move" me!

I forget the actual names of the hebrew practices that you went through but i loved'em! I really got into the standing up and recieting together from the text and not just reading it from a screen but standing and looking down and reading together in unity! it was amazing!

Any chance we can do it again?

I also liked the idea that old practices if done in a legistic way can be harmful but if done through the transformation of our hearts, as a practice, being moved by the Spirit, leading us into a deeper insight into the love of God, then why not!

isnt this the reason why we hang crosses and the ten commandments in our living rooms? not because we have too but because we want to be reminded.

anyways, so yeah, great sermon!