Sunday, August 28, 2011

When the Scales Fall

“How am I supposed to show love to somebody over and over and over who constantly rejects me?”  After working on my sermon for the better part of Monday I sat down at home that evening and watched the movie Fireproof.  When I came to the scene where Caleb is complaining to his father I knew that I needed to work that clip into the sermon.  What a great question.  Indeed the only way we truly learn how to love like that is to accept the love of Christ.  Only then will we be able to allow him to love through us. 

I can never tell the story of Steve Awtrey loving me when I was a rebellious teenager without tearing up.  I used to apologize for that but decided to do so no longer.  When someone allows the love of Christ to flow through them to the extent that they love the undeserving; it should provoke an emotional reaction.  Even though it happened almost 35 years ago I never ceased to be amazed at the wonderful grace of God to save a sinner like me. 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

First off, let me thank you again for sharing your personal story with us yesterday. It is always moving seeing a respected mentor able to share without holding back and likewise to be joyful in such endeavors!

When you said, “I used to apologize for that but decided to do so no longer…” that reminded me of another trustworthy saying of Paul’s, “Each time he said, ‘My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.’ So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me…” (2 Corinthians 12:9).

I love the story and acts of Paul/Saul. I love reading biographies and texts and discussions about him. Why? I think you really hit the proverbial nail on the head with your comment, “…the only way we truly learn how to love like that is to accept the love of Christ. Only then will we be able to allow him to love through us.” The only way…

This joyful revelation really makes the words of Jesus come alive when he said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). Thought provoking and powerful words. We cannot know or understand how to love like Christ until we accept Him into our lives and allow the change and transformation to occur.

My friend let all our lips confess the sovereignty and Kingship of Jesus Christ, and call out together, “I [will] never cease to be amazed at the wonderful grace of God to save a sinner like me.”

Amen!