Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Relationships

I gain hope from how messed up the church in Corinth was. In fact, as I think about the New Testament churches, I don't see many (any?) that did not have major problems. The New Testament documents themselves were almost exclusively written to address the problems being experienced in the churches. In spite of that, the gospel was spreading and new congregations were springing up everywhere. How marvelous that God doesn't need us to get everything "fixed" for Him to work in wonderful ways. His grace is what saves us and his grace is what sustains us. Far from making us complacent, may God's grace have the same effect in our lives that it had in the life of the one who because of his former life, called himself, "the least of the apostles." In his own words, "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me" (1 Corinthians 15:10).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked. There are no comments for this month! Shameful! Anyway, I'm sorry I left the auditorium during your sermon last week. I had (and still have) a really bad cough and I was concerned that I was going to disturb everyone else. I listened very diligently though. Great, as always. Anyway, see you tomorrow! And please pray for me if you see this before midnight; I have an essay and a half to write before then.

Byron said...

Katie,
Thanks for leaving your comment. I didn't see it until this morning (Monday). Hope you did well on your essay.