Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spiritual Role Models

Thinking about role models this week made me want to begin the sermon talking about actors, models, athletes, and musicians. It seems that we often limit our talk of role models to high profile, high paid entertainers. We marvel whenever they are "good role models" and whine when one of them is a terrible embarrassment to the human race and call them "bad role models". Thankfully I resisted the urge to include such rambling in the sermon (sorry I can't say the same for my blog :-).

I find Paul's use of Timothy and Epaphroditus as "spiritual role models" for the Philippians as an insightful, pastoral way to help these new Christians have some "flesh and blood" examples of how to follow Jesus. If the greatest goal of our lives is to become like Jesus we must find those who are serving him well and imitate them as they imitate Christ. They are seldom found among the high profile, wealthy, influential individuals often held up as "role models." True spiritual role models will usually be found among the low profile, humble, selfless servants who go about their business of following Christ whether anyone is watching or not.

1 comment:

Skull Jockey said...

Love the OJ pic! I would wholeheartedly agree, we as a society have a pretty messed up idea of what a role model is and should be. I also think that this type of "spiritual role modeling" is something lacking in our church. Amanda and I desire to have spiritual mentors, and I think a lot of people are age in this church desire that as well.