Sunday, June 28, 2009

Joseph and His Story of Many Layers

Wouldn't it be great if we could see the end of our problems from the beginning? In the midst of our pain, suffering, disappointments, heartbreak, loneliness, etc... we would have the assurance that the intensity of the moment would not last forever. We would have already read the final chapters of our story and learned how things would wrap up. Unfortunately we can't know for sure how anything in our life will end up.

Joseph is a true bible hero in that no matter how bad life became for him he continued to "trust and obey" the Lord. He didn't know how things would turn out but acted like he did. Every step of the way it appears that he lived his life believing that God was at work (which in fact He was!).

I choose to live with the belief that God is going to use my life, the experiences of my life, and my life's work in some way to benefit future generations. I have no idea how. I've just read enough of the Bible to know that my perspective is too small and that I need to live by faith. "God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance," Joseph said when he finally was able to connect all the dots. He couldn't say that while he was in the pit, living in slavery, or in his prison cell. He could only say this years later when God reveled it him. Lord, give me the faith to push through the difficult parts of life with the hope of a brighter tomorrow.

No comments: