Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Age of the Spirit

All of those languages being spoken at once made quite an impression this morning. My daughter commented afterward that she wished we could dramatize all Biblical stories. Indeed I have read the account of Pentecost Sunday from Acts chapter 2 all of my life, but today it came to life! Peter's sermon made so much sense in light of the events that were occurring. "These men are not drunk as you suppose, it's only nine in the morning!" That caused a chuckle from some in the crowd today just as it must have the first time Peter spoke those words. His sermon was not a well rehearsed, carefully thought out presentation. Rather, he was interacting with the crowd; passionately reasoning with them to accept the Lordship of Jesus who had so recently risen from the dead. The age of the Spirit has come! May we all learn what it means to let the Holy Spirit live though us.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it went very well this morning. It definitely drove the point home. Good job, everybody!

Skull Jockey said...

I, too, thought that it went well. That only hitch that I saw was that when the lights came on at the end of your sermon, the rustling and whispers kind of drowned you out. It's like turning the lights on after a film. I am not sure that everyone heard/understand your explanation of family prayer time. Other than that, I think it was great!

Byron said...

Sunday before last I spoke with some friends of mine who were visiting and they said that the Family Prayer time invitation was so short that they were confused about what to do. Therefore, this week I decided to give an extended explanation. The downside is that when everyone knows what is coming they don't pay attention. Remember in the past when the sermon was over and the "invitation" began? Before the preacher finished speaking you could could hear the song books sliding out of their racks and people getting ready to "stand and sing".