Monday, March 10, 2008

God's Strange Answers

This will be the first time in over 20 years of preaching that I have paused a series of sermons in the middle, with a plan to preach the remainder later in the year. Usually when I preach a series they build on one another but this particular series is different. Each sermon seemed to stand alone. The topic of prayer is so vast and all inclusive I found that instead of having a logical progression of one sermon leading to the next, we were looking at prayer from a different angle each week. It is like examining something so huge one is unable to grasp it in it's entirety and must settle for breaking it into smaller sections for examination. I hope people have been encouraged to pray and that these sermons will become a kind of springboard to developing a deeper relationship with God. When we return to the Reel Prayer series we will talk about such topics as:
  • The Prayer of Surrender (Bruce Almighty, Flywheel)
  • Shouting at God (The Apostle)
  • Wrestling in Prayer (The Passion)
Let me know if there are things you would like to hear me address when the series returns.

The Following Videos use Real Player, If you do not have real player or if your current video player will not play a real media file then you can download Real Player for free
Here!

The Preacher’s Wife
The Collar
Connection Type
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

The Car
Connection Type
56k Dial-Up
150K Mid-Range
384k Cable/DSL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite movie clip was the two flies in the milk. It reminds me that I am a fly, and God doesnt intend me to drown, but rather to make butter, so that I can live. This isnt easy, but "the path is narrow, that leads to life".

As I took notes during the sermon about the four things we should do in prayer , unbelievably, as I write this, I have been able to retrieve from the car, the actual notes I took, ( and people say there are no more miracles ) and so I can list them for us

1) Pray about what is needed

2) pray about everything that concerns you

3) pray allowing God to shape your prayer

4) pray believeing God will answer

underneath I wrote,

Fear God, and obey his commands

I think from this list I need the most help with the first two. In my notes I underlined "everything" from number 2, probably because I need to continue striving towards turning everything in my life over to God. This is very hard to do while at the same time avoiding complacency. It is easy to think that turning over to God means doing less, but I think it means doing more. People I have known who most strike me as Godly are those who do more than is humanly possible. I believe this is because they have been more succesful than I in turning their lives over to God, and therefore are able to call upon his power to prevent tiring from their never ceasing work.

This is not to lessen the need for rest, God did it after 6 days, Jesus did it regularly, and we also must rest regularly. But my feeling is that most of us get enough rest, but we dont put the full power of God to work in our non-resting time. Maybe that's too pessimistic, so a better way to say it would be, we must all continue to strive for perfection, not that we have attained perfection, but we must continue to push toward the high calling that God has for us, not that we will reach it, but by striving we will accomplish God's will for us.

Wow, that just came to me, I should put it in a book. :o)

I hope in the future to be able to better practice "praying without ceasing".

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about the sermon this morning on my hour drive to work. I use this time (after everyone is dropped off at their respective "spots") to reflect. I listen to KSBJ and find that encouraging - and strangely enough, I am reminded to pray.(It could be the constant 20 second ads - "Reminding you - God Listens"....but nevertheless) I was thinking about the second point of the sermon - and so I began about praying for each thing that concerned me. And I became speechless. I told God what I was really concerned about and then it seemed all I could do was listen. As if He was going to come knock on my window -like in the Preacher's Wife - or something along those lines. I don't think I really knew the meaning of surrender until I became quiet. For those who know me - I am a talker, I will admit. But in the time I was quiet - I HEARD. Talk about a lesson for me!
Ever since the Real Prayer series has begun - I find it easier to converse WITH God instead of TO God. And it has also provided unique and encouraging opportunities to talk to my kids about praying. Thanks. Can't wait to hear more :-)
C. Staehlin