Sunday, November 9, 2008

Powerful Praying

Two comments about my sermon that were pointed out to me more than once:
1. "Did you know that you said, 'Eat more and exercise less' at the end of your sermon?"

I knew that I said something wrong but was not sure what it was. When in doubt, my preferred option is to just keep moving forward. But thank you to the people who came and told me what I had said. Otherwise I might have never known why the conclusion to my sermon was so funny.

2. "Talking about overeating is not appropriate on the Sunday of the monthly pot luck."

There is no Sunday in America when it is appropriate to talk about overeating. I was going to save today's sermon for the U.S. national day of fasting - but realized that we have no such day on our calender.

In spite of the above, I thought it was a wonderful day. There was an encouraging prayer time at 8:15. The chorus included some of our teenagers for the first time, and sounded wonderful! We had a great visitor/new member lunch after church. And now I think I'll take an afternoon siesta before a busy evening.

6 comments:

Skull Jockey said...

Yeah, that was funny. I kept expecting you to say, "Hey, what's so funny." But you went on well and once we all got the giggles out, everything was good.

I am sure number two was said tongue-in-cheek (mostly), but perhaps there is not more appropriate Sunday on which to talk about overeating than on a potluck Sunday.

Actually, I thought this was a very powerful sermon. I could feel the crescendo coming and building up to something, and that something turned out to be someone, Christ Jesus. That was powerful. To see and revisit his struggle in the garden, not wanting to go forward, but allowing God's spirit to guide him in his father's will.

That's the challenge for us (me) today. To accept the challenge to do what I may not want to do, to accept that which I want to refuse, and to endure that which may be painful.

I also think that we want to get lost in those two comments that were pointed out to you after the sermon. They give us something else to think about besides that which is challenging. I know that's what I want to do.

Tommytwotoez said...

I have to say, I got a little hung up on the "fatty" america introduction to your sermon and yes I understand that its a form of self-Discipline, but come on!!! are you really going to hit us where it hurts? right in the belly, wow.
Well, after recovering from that wound, i really enjoyed being reminded on how "human" Jesus was, but he still did what he had to do.
I think a big thing with us (humans) is fear and overcoming that fear to do what we need to do. Seeing Jesus, our best example to go by in living our lifes, was in fact afraid but still saved us, still did what needed to be done, still did Gods will.
P.S i think i pray better with a full stomach, is that bad?

Skull Jockey said...

Tommy - well said! I do remember thinking that you must being reading my prayers when you said something about praying for "coke and donuts" - talking about stepping on my toes a bit!

Byron said...

Praying on a full stomach is a good thing. However, praying with an empty stomach can sometimes add depth to your prayers. Don't be afraid to try something new. Read the articles I wrote on fasting at clearlakechurch.com under the tab Bible Studies/Articles.

JAPierce said...

The prayer retreat was awesome. Thank you for all the work you put into it.

Anonymous said...

Byron - You certainly put the bar high with this lesson! If Powerful Praying equals raising the dead (Jesus' prayer for Lazarus), then I know I'm on the newborn end of the development scale!
D Thompson