Sunday, October 2, 2011

We Believe in God

The shrinking YOU in this morning's sermon seemed to be the most memorable part of the lesson.  I know that was the part that most impacted me as I worked on the sermon this past week.  For those who did not hear the sermon, we noticed how the frame of reference in determining anything of significant value always begins with YOU.  But the further one moves back the smaller you become: family, church, city, country, nation, planet, galaxy, universe.  Above all the universe is God.  Contrasting the High and Holy One with a human being is like contrasting the vast expanse of ocean with a single drop of water (except that the drop of water is significantly bigger!). 

After the sermon someone commented that God even knows the number of hairs on our head.  Incredible!  He is so massively huge and yet so near and concerned about even the least significant human.  What a great God we serve! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Byron, here is the photo that I told you about today.
This is a comparison of the Earth to other planets and stars. Humbling to say the least.

http://www.co-intelligence.org/newsletter/comparisons.html

Mayberry

Byron said...

Awesome picture! The larger we understand the universe to be the greater is our God. Thanks for the link.

Unknown said...

The text you used today is the same one that i've been reading from this past week! I can't remember why I was lead to that particular reading of scripture...execpt that I had just watched a video on creation care and wanted to read a few verses for myself on "creation." Isa 40:25 was so moving that I made a note of it in my bible for future reference. Isaiah's tone reminds me so much of those who do their best to explain the exisitence of God. Or in fact in character of our Abba Father. I can picture this old prophet standing there with his hand pointing to the sky and saying, "Are you serious? How can you say there is no God or that you do not trust in the Creator? Just look at all the evidence before you!"

I really enjoyed the sermon yesterday. I know that you are on your prayer pilgrimage right now and will not get to read this for some time. I pray that your retreat is going well for you and God is whispering loudly in your heart.